Everything has a time and a place
There is a time for everythingAnd a season for every activity under heaven:
A time to be born and a time to die,
A time to plant and a time to uproot,
A time to kill and a time to heal,
A time to tear down and a time to build,
A time to weep and a time to laugh,
A time to mourn and a time to dance,
A time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
A time to embrace and a time to refrain,
A time to search and a time to give up,
A time to keep and a time to throw away,
A time to tear and a time to mend,
A time to be silent and a time to speak,
A time to love and a time to hate,
A time for war and a time for peace.
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
When I started with DYFC I totally felt like I had found my niche and my sense of calling was so strong that I was convinced I was where I was meant to be. And I was. It was no mistake. But I think I thought I would be in youth work for good…well I really wanted to be in it for the long-haul. And actually I still do, I think that at some point in the future I will be involved in some kind of youth ministry. But I’ve realised that there is a time for everything, and now just happens to be the time to move on to something different, it’s just a new season. And there is a real sense of release in that, even though it’s hard to close one chapter, there’s the excitement of a new one opening up.
Also I’ve realised that I don’t have to be in Christian ministry to please God. I always felt like I was crap at the whole witnessing thing so in some ways working for a Christian organisation was a bit of a cop-out for me – not blatantly, it didn’t detract in any way from my sense of calling to do what I did. Nor are you stuck in some kind of ‘holy huddle’ when you’re ministering at the coal-face with mostly un-churched young people who don’t waste their time in telling you what they think! But in a lot of ways it’s pretty ‘safe’ to say you’re a Christian – most people expect that when you work for a Christian charity! I think there’s a slightly different way of relating to people around you when your faith isn’t an integral part of your job description. But reading Josh McDowell’s book (see link on right) really helped me to see that actually witnessing can be an overflow of who I am.
"If as a Christian you see yourself as God’s loved, valued and competent child, you are communicating something of the gospel to others. As you add to your living witness the element of a telling witness – speaking about Christ when the opportunities arise – you will likely see even more people come to Christ through you efforts."
"God’s love and witness flows more freely from those who see themselves as loved and accepted in spite of their imperfections."
Can you imagine how much the world would transform if we Christians lived this out?! But before I fall into the trap of getting on my self-righteous horse I guess the next few months will give me an opportunity to put this stuff into practice when I get a job in the ‘normal working world’ (whatever that is!). No doubt there will be more reflections and lessons along the way…the road goes on.








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home